Monday, August 5, 2013

While my nails dry..

Hello out there!

Everytime I've gone to blog over the last couple of weeks I've been distracted by something...or fell asleep. I know..I'm getting old. I'll be 28 on Thursday! Scary stuff. So I thought while I wait for my nailpolish to dry a bit more I'll blog!

Anywho so I do have a lot of news but I just can't remember much of it now. Typical, hey!?! Again lets blame that on getting old  =)

My dream balloons have been SO popular. I donated a mobile for one of my collaborate for a cause auctions and since then it has been non-stop orders for mobiles and single balloons.

So I thought I would tell my story of how I got to the end piece for my dream balloons.  Sit down and grab a cuppa!

As I have mentioned in an earlier post somewhere I saw this awesome stall at one of the craft expos that had these hanging hot air balloons. It totally caught my eye and hyponotised me but I was doubting my sewing skills and if I'd be able to make them or not. I umm'ed and ahhh'ed for a little while and thought I would think about it while I finished off the expo. Of course it got the better of me and I went back and bought the pattern before going home.

I was itching to make a balloon even though it took me a while since I've never sewn something that was round before! I eventually got it made and was so proud of myself! I have it hanging in my bedroom and even though I'm an adult find it very relaxing just watching it swing and turn in the breeze.

But I came to a halt when I was reading through the pattern abit closer and I saw 'this is copyrighted and cannot be sold'. My heart sank as I knew my customers would just LOVE these. So this is where my mission started!

Now normally when I see something I like or see a pattern for sale I will go home and search for a free pattern on the internet. I know thats the cheap-arse way of doing things but hey, I'm sure most of you do the same thing. Plus you can find ALOT on pinterest!

I searched and searched and found quite a few different tutorials using different textiles such as felt and scrapbooking paper. While this wasn't the same as the pattern I bought I pretty much took all the good bits from each pattern that worked for me and voila! I now have my own little cross-bred hot air balloon pattern.

To be honest though the finished product doesn't look too different to the original but it's more so the construction and the little details that I've changed to suit me and the way that I create. I have to give credit to the original pattern make for inspiring me with her hot air balloons! While I can't remember the name of her business I know it had "craft" in the title somewhere.


No comments: